1. Finding things that remind you of where you came from. I’ve had this ongoing project at my home to clear out the garage. In doing so, I found a box of old CA stickers. This is a collection of pretty much every Chicharon Adventures sticker. It’s kind of surprising that I haven’t done the handwritten CA. **adds that to task list**
2. Interns turned employees turned friends, specifically Alex Campos. Campos started interning for Backside a little over a year ago, moved up to an employee because of his work ethic, and now I can call him my friend. It’s refreshing to see someone that young have so much interest and enthusiasm for an industry that’s often called dead and saturated. He’s been a source of inspiration for me, especially when he texts me in the wee hours of the morning to tell me his next idea.
3. My tattoo artist, Tony Action. I’m scheduled to get two more tattoos in the next month, both of which he has to design. One of them is an addition to what’s currently on my wrist. The other is a piece that has been conceptualized since 2007. My cousin, the original artist of that design, suddenly passed in 2008, and wasn’t able to finish it. It’s something that holds so much significance, and I’ve finally found someone to do the job. You’ll see it when it’s done.
4. SSUR. I’m currently writing a feature on Ruslan Karablin, the owner of SSUR, and just received his answers to my 20+ questions. He’s been in the game for two decades; it’s cool to read his tales of survival and relevance, it’s cool to learn about the evolution of the brand. (photo courtesy of http://www.ssurempirestate.com)
5. The fall season. It’s my favorite time of the year. Judging on how fast summer is going, it’s right around the corner. My birthday, the holidays, the leaves changing colors (I really do love that), and the clothes. By the time you read this, I’m probably en route or I’m in Long Beach for the Agenda Show. I personally like attending this one because it showcases what brands have in store for the colder months. Layers, jackets, darker colors, boots, accessories, oh my.
6. Man of Steel!!!!!!! I caught the trailer for the movie before Dark Knight. It simply deserves that many exclamation points. (photo courtesy of http://www.huffingtonpost.com)